From jobs to leisurely activities, most of our daily routines have been altered so that the public can stay home and stay safe. As more businesses come to a temporary halt, we can’t help but instinctively wonder—is there anything we can do to help? The answer is... yes!
While you may not be able to sit down at your favorite restaurant or schedule an appointment at your local beauty parlor, we’ve compiled other simple ways you can continue to support the local businesses in your community—and trust us, it’ll make a difference!
1. Buy online gift certificates for your favorite local businesses
Whether a loved one’s birthday is nearing or you want to purchase a simple treat-yo-self gift, purchasing online gift cards is a great way to show local businesses your support. You may not be able to reap the benefits of one now, but once that “open for business” sign is back in the window, it’ll feel oh-so-good to know you’re already one step ahead of the game.
2. Purchase groceries from the local grocery market
Although chain grocery stores may have more options or quicker turnaround to keep up with the high demand, shopping at your local grocery store or market not only supports your community, it also supports their employees’ job security, too!
3. Order delivery or takeout services from local restaurantsCraving that fresh pasta dish from your local Italian restaurant? How about that poke bowl at your favorite sushi spot? While you may not be able to sit down at your favorite restaurant, many are still offering takeout services or delivery options. The added bonus? You don’t have to cook, and your favorite eatery is able to make a little money while you enjoy your favorite dish from the comfort of your own home.
4. Join online fitness classes
Before you freeze your gym membership, check your local gym’s website for online classes! Many gyms and fitness studios are offering virtual exercise plans, classes, or one-on-one skype sessions to keep your body moving! An added way you can help your trainer during this time? Buy online merch from your favorite studio, or invest in class packages you know you’ll use down the line!
5. Support local charities
Donating to local charities is a great way to not only support nonprofit organizations in your community but to also support the people and families who need it most. Here are just a few of the many ways you can help:
- Donate canned goods and other non-perishables to your local food bank to help provide hot meals for those in need.
- Provide diapers, formula, and other essentials to your local diaper bank or women’s shelter to support mothers, expecting mothers, and their children.
- Schedule an appointment to donate blood to The American Red Cross Association.
- Donate money to local animal shelters to cover the cost of food and care for pets without a home.