The Power Behind Maintaining a Daily Routine
With most of our daily tasks and activities becoming remote, it’s pretty easy to fall out of a typical routine while practicing social distancing. Classes are being taught online, and for most, working from home is now a requirement. Sweatpants are the new suit, and the couch, the new workspace.
If you’re starting to feel like Grandpa Joe from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, fear not! With the help of some experts, we’ve broken down some tips and tricks on how to maintain a daily routine, and why it is beneficial to your overall health.
Maintaining a Personal Routine
When it comes to an everyday routine, it’s not difficult for self-care to be tossed on the backburner. Creating a routine for self-care allows you to carve out time every single day to focus on pursuing something you’re passionate about; the more you practice this behavior, the more vital it will become as part of your routine rather than an afterthought.
Try adding these to your routine:
- Try a stress-relieving bath or meditation
- Find time to incorporate an effortless makeup routine.
- Do a quick at-home workout.
- Pour a glass of your favorite wine.
- Get creative with DIY beauty treatments.
Self-care activities not only alleviate stress but help to form and maintain healthy habits, particularly with prioritizing what’s most important- you!
Maintaining a Social Routine
It’s not entirely shocking that social relationships are among the strongest predictors of happiness levels. So how exactly can we maintain social relationships while social distancing?
Try some of these ideas:
- Start a virtual happy hour with friends, family, or co-workers! This is a great way to gather together over your favorite snacks and drinks while maintaining a sense of normalcy.
- For those of you who love to binge-watch Netflix (isn’t that all of us?), the streaming platform now includes Netflix Party, which synchronizes movies and TV shows for you and your loved ones for your very own virtual movie night!
- Loving these ideas? Check out our blog for more fun and creative ways to keep your social life in check while social distancing!
Maintaining a Professional Routine
We understand the chaos of everyday work and school life. Transplanting that hectic environment to your home can make things more stressful, to say the least. Turning your bedroom into a scattered space will not only, contribute to your stress but also affect your productivity… and sleep!
Flipping open your laptop from bed may seem like the most convenient option, but studies show that looking at a bright screen from a laptop, tablet, or other technological devices will reduce melatonin, making it more difficult for you to not only fall asleep but have good quality sleep, too. Keeping your work area clean and organized is important for minimizing anxiety and stress.
Here's how you can maintain your professional routine from home:
- If you find that space is an issue, try turning your vanity into a makeshift office space for studying or reading emails to give your space a sense of purpose, rather than scattering books and papers wherever you can find room.
- Try getting into the habit of incorporating a minimal makeup routine into your morning to maintain a sense of readiness and responsibility when “getting ready” for the day.
Want to learn about more ways to create a better work-from-home routine? Check out our blog!