In this guide we are covering everything LIPS. From lip prep to application methods, product types and tutorials. Let's not waste another minute and jump right in.
Don't have time to read our entire guide? Skip to the content you're most interested in!
- Lip Prep - How to prep your lips for a gorgeous looking pout.
- Lip Products 101 - Tint, Stick, Stain, what's the difference? We break down product names and what they mean.
- How to use your Subtl Beauty Lip and Cheek - Did you know different application methods can render different results?
Prepping your Lips
Before applying any color to your lips, it’s important to make sure you’re prepping the perfect base. Lip care often goes overlooked, but it can have a huge impact on how your products look once applied!
Step 1: Scrub
We recommend starting with a lip scrub, like this DIY brown sugar scrub that only takes a few minutes to make!
Why use a lip scrub?
- Lip scrubs help gently exfoliate the sensitive skin on your lips, removing dead skin cells and creating a smooth base to apply products to.
- Use a lip scrub 1 to 2 times per week for super smooth lips!
Step 2: Moisturize
After some gentle exfoliation, it’s good practice to give your lips some moisture.
Some products, like the Subtl Beauty Lip and Cheek Tint, have moisturizing ingredients in them already!
Here are some more ways you can ensure properly hydrated lips:
- Apply a thick layer of Lip Balm before bed! This allows your lips to fully absorb the product and moisturize overnight. You'll wake up to smooth, plump lips in the morning.
- Use a hydrating lip balm whenever you feel your lips getting dry. All Subtl Lip Balms are formulated with Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, and Vitamin E for deep hydration. In the mood for something sweet? Try our Lip Balm Trio! Lip balm can also act as a primer to help your lip color last all day!
- Make sure you are staying hydrated!
Recommended: A Dry Skin Guide to Healthy Glowing Skin
As you probably already know, there are tons of different types of lip products out there! From glosses to stains, it can get confusing to know what is what and how to use it. That’s why we created this lip care and wear guide to give you a short introduction to some of the most popular lip products.
Lip Balm: Balms have stood the test of time, and while there are tons of variations out there, you know we love our Lip Balm Trio!
- Lip Gloss: This one is pretty easy and gloss formula has come a long way since the early 2000s.
- Lipstick: Lipstick is generally the most pigmented but it can be a bit of a pain. You almost always need a lip liner as well to achieve the perfect pout.
- Lip Tint: The lip tint is a makeup-bag favorite for many women, and for good reason—it's like a lipstick and balm in one! It’s super easy to apply, feels like a balm, and is often formulated with hydrating ingredients (the Subtl Beauty Lip and Cheek Tints have a vegan formula that includes Jojoba oil!)
- Lip Stain: these can be a little tricky, as you have to get it right to avoid staining skin you didn’t want to be pigmented. But, once applied, they last all day and you don’t have to worry about them rubbing off on your wine glass!
How to Apply Your Subtl Beauty Lip + Cheek Tint
Our jojoba-infused, semi-matte Lip and Cheek Tints are powerhouse products, offering multiple uses with one single product.
When you first open your Lip and Cheek you may notice that it's hard to pick up pigment at first. This is because our Lip and Cheek tints are formulated to withstand extreme conditions without melting and leaking like other lip products.
If you're using your Lip and Cheek for the first time, we recommend using the warmth of your finger to warm up the formula by swirling in the pan for 10-20 seconds. After that, the application should become easier.
There are a few ways you can apply your Subtl Beauty lip tint, each with different effects.
Did you know Ashline achieved both of these lip looks with the same Plum Lip + Cheek tint? Here's how.
Finger Application: for a natural tint
This is probably the easiest way of applying lip tint, and gives the most subtl(e) look!
- Using your ring finger, pick up some pigment.
- Gently apply to your lips like you would lip balm.
- Rub your lips together to ensure even application.
Blotting Application: for bolder natural color
If you’re looking for vibrant, bold color, this is the way to go! Dabbing on color allows you to build up pigment without moving it around too much.
- Using your ring finger, pick up some pigment.
- Use a dabbing motion to apply the color to your lips in small sections.
- Blend as you go for a seamless look!
Brush Application: For Bold Precision
Using a lip brush to apply product helps define the edges of your lips, giving a more structured look.
- Gather some product on your lip brush.
- Use the edge of the brush to outline your lip shape.
- Fill in the rest of your lips using either the brush or your fingers, blending as you go.
Subtl Tip: Try putting on lip balm or primer first to help your look last all day!
Recommended: Is It Bad To Apply Makeup with Fingers?
3 Ways To Get The Most Out Of Your Lip And Cheek
Watch Nydia's video below on how to wear your Lip and Cheek tint 3 different ways.
Lip Looks and Touch-Ups
Now that you know how to prep and apply your lip cheek tint, it’s time to put it all together! One of the best parts of our Lip + Cheek tint is how easy it is to wear either on its own or as part of a full look.
Feel free to experiment with intensity, color, or even get creative and use it as eyeliner. Try pairing Plum with a natural eyeshadow look, or pair a natural shade like Mauve with a bold graphic liner!
Try a bold look:
- Start with a quick dusting of Shine Control Powder all over the face to help prep the skin for application.
- Next, do your eye and brow makeup! To add some natural warmth, Courtney used our Bronzer in her crease.
- Because she’s using a bold color, Courtney lines her lips first. This is completely optional, but can help you achieve a sharper outline of your lips!
- Going in with her finger, she dabs the color onto her lips in multiple layers to create a bold, vibrant look.
Subtl Tip: to add a little extra to your look, try layering a clear or shimmery gloss over top of your lip tint!
Another great thing about lip tints is how easy they are to touch up throughout the day. Because they don’t dry down like liquid or traditional lipsticks, layering is no problem at all!
In this video, makeup artist Pauline Zilch shows us some of her favorite makeup touch up tips. Whether you’re going from work to date night, leaving the gym after workout sesh, or just need to freshen up your look, these tips are lifesavers!
- Pull apart a tissue so that it’s 1-ply instead of 2, and use that to blot your skin and remove excess oil and shine.
- Use a little bit of Concealer under your eyes, above your lip, under your chin, and between your eyebrows blending up to your forehead. This brightens up your complexion without applying a fresh face of foundation!
- If you found you were too heavy with the concealer, use the second half of that tissue to remove any excess product!
- Blot some Shine Control Powder over where you applied concealer.
- Finally, use your Lip + Cheek tint to add some color back into your cheeks and your lips!
That's a wrap! Let us know if we missed anything in the comments. In the meantime..